A superfood is a nutrient-rich food considered to be especially beneficial for health and well-being. Most superfoods are plant-based are thought to be nutritionally dense. A few examples for superfoods are blueberries, salmon, kale and acai.
Super foods have larger doses of vitamins and minerals per serving and can help prevent disease and lead to a longer healthier life. Some of the nutrients that are contained in specific super foods are antioxidants, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals and fiber to just name a few.
Here are some simple ways to add super food to your everyday diet.
1. Add spirulina to a smoothie – spirulina is a blue-green algae and it is rich with nutrients that can help prevent stress on the body. It also boosts your immune system.
2. Add apple cider vinegar to your vinaigrettes. Apple cider vinegar helps with digestion, alkalizes your body to help better absorb your nutrients and has anti-inflammatory properties.
3. Adding nutritional yeast or “nooch” is an easy was to get a lot of nutrients. Sprinkle it over your popcorn instead of butter or cheese. Adding nooch provides added zinc, folates, niacin and many other nutrients to your diet.
4. Dark berries, such as blueberries, are lower in sugar than other fruits and are full of needed anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial agents. Blueberries are an easy add to many meals!
5. Add carrots to baked goods – carotenoid promotes eye health and reduces prostate cancer. Grate them and add to baked goods or even sauces for an added sweetness.
6. Tomatoes can get a bad rap for their acidity, but adding them to your salad can really kick it up a notch. Tomatoes are high in lycopene, which has been shown in some studies to ward off breast and prostate cancers. They are also high in beta-carotene. Roasting them in olive oil will bring out the flavor!
7. Avocado is an amazing food! They are a wonderful source of fiber, monounsaturated fat and vitamin E. A creamy avocado is an easy, satisfying replacement for fatty condiments like mayo and will help keep you fuller thanks to the fiber and healthy fats.
8. Dark, leafy greens are one of the best ways to add superfoods to your diet. Spinach, in particular, are high in vitamin C, beta-carotene and vitamin K, which helps with bone density and heart health. Add spinach to your salad or smoothie or make an omelet and add a handful of spinach.
9. Another great addition to your salad is sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds are filled with magnesium and can aid with digestion as well as help with irritability and stress. Adding these seeds instead of croutons make a healthy salad even more beneficial!
10. Have a sweet tooth and love ice cream? Blending and freezing banana could do the trick! It has the texture of ice cream. Add a bit of dark chocolate and you’ve got an amazing nondairy treat.
There are many ways to add super foods to your diet. The combinations are endless and you can get the food your body needs without sacrificing taste. You just have to find what works best for you!
Comment below on different ways you have added superfoods to your diet!